Job Description – Paper Conservator (Permanent, Full Time)
Established in 2004, Artworks Conservation Ltd is looking for a qualified, Paper Conservator to join our studio at The Chapel, Markington Hall, Markington, nr Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3 3PQ. Artworks Conservation is a busy, well-equipped studio working for museums, galleries, institutions, art dealers and private collectors. We conserve, mount and frame a wide range of traditional and contemporary art, specialising in prints, drawings and watercolours. The spacious studio is in the village or Markington, a short bus journey from Harrogate, a large and thriving North Yorkshire spa town, with connections to Leeds and York and close to the Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors National Parks. The studio is listed on the Icon Conservation Register
|Job Title||Paper Conservator|
|Hours||9am to 5.30pm, Mon to Fri|
|Reporting to||Richard Hawkes ACR|
|Location||The Chapel, Markington Hall, Markington, HG3 3PQ and, occasionally, on-site at museums, galleries and historic properties|
|Salary||£22,000 – £28,000 per annum|
|Holiday||20 days p.a. (pro rata) plus 8 bank holidays|
|Training||A relevant postgraduate, or equivalent level, conservation qualification|
Overall Objective –
- To assist with and undertake conservation / restoration treatments for works of art and archives on paper
Main activities –
- Practical conservation treatments for Western and Eastern art including watercolours, prints and drawings, folding screens, scrolls, archival material, photographic material and vellum. Additional training will be given as necessary.
- Mounting of artworks and fitting into frames
- Condition reports, treatment record-keeping, photographic recording of treatments
- Undertake on-site condition surveys and remedial conservation treatments at museums and galleries as required
- Maintaining health and safety standards.
- Helping to keep all areas of the studio clean and tidy.
Person Specification, Essential –
- Postgraduate-level conservation qualification with specialism in paper conservation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer and online skills (e.g. MS Office, Excel, social media)
- Ability to work Monday to Friday
Person Specification, Desirable –
- UK driving licence
- Previous conservation experience
- Mounting-cutting experience
To arrange an informal chat about the position, please contact:
Richard Hawkes, Director, Artworks Conservation Ltd, The Chapel, Markington Hall, Markington, North Yorkshire, HG3 3PQ, 01765 676600
Please send a letter explaining why you would like the job and how your experience is relevant. Please include a full CV (no more than 2 pages) and the names of two referees, one of whom should be a current employer or recent tutor. [NB: We will not contact referees until after a formal job offer has been made].
Deadline for applications: Tuesday 4th January 2022 at 5pm